Index of Post
- 1 What is the Best time to do Srinagar to Leh Road Trip?
- 2 What is the Cost of Srinagar to Leh Road Trip?
- 3 What is the Recommended Vehicle for Srinagar to Leh Road Trip?
- 4 Best Route for Srinagar to Leh Road Trip
- 5 What are the Places to Visit During Srinagar to Leh Road Trip?
- 6 What are the Best Food Places on Srinagar to Leh Road Trip Route?
- 7 Best Hotels to Stay in During Srinagar to Leh Road Trip
- 8 Where to get Petrol Pumps on Srinagar to Leh Road Trip?
Leh is an extremely popular travel destination among the young tourists of India. Srinagar to Leh Road Trip is a long road trip to cover. This will consume several days of riding. Tourists will pass through extremely popular tourist spots like Sonmarg, Zojila Pass, Kargil, Fotula Pass, and many more. So, this is going to be an adventurous road trip for all those who are going to do it. It will be a 5 days and 4 nights trip out of which you will be having 1 dedicated day to explore Leh only.
Along with being an interesting trip, it isn’t the easy one. Most of the riders prefer to do it with the bike. If you are in pair then the bike is the best way to do Srinagar to Leh Road Trip. If you are in a group of 3 or more, prefer to take a car instead of multiple bikes. Length of this road trip is 419 Km long via NH1D which will take approximately 12 hours of bike ride. NH1D is also known as Srinagar – Leh Highway. This route is also medically preferred due to less chances of AMS (Altitude Mountain Sickness).
Srinagar is the summer capital of J&K and the heavenly start point for your Srinagar to Leh road trip. There are several places where travelers take their halfway halt like Kargil is the most favorite spot. The road which will lead you towards your destination is filled with nature’s surprises, gifts, and soothing landscapes. So, let’s start with the entire itinerary of this road trip without taking more of your time.
You Maybe Interested In: Manali to Leh Road Trip
What is the Best time to do Srinagar to Leh Road Trip?
Before you start planning your trip, you must know the best or suitable time to visit the place you are planning to go to. Following Srinagar – Leh Highway, you won’t face any issue with the route at any time of the year. But still, there is a preferred time spot when you can easily cover the trip without any issue. Srinagar – Leh highway has its own surprises and challenges. There are few points on the route which can be considered as dangerous.
Availability of services of food, repair, fuel, and many other factors drive the perfect time for this road trip. Roads in Leh Ladakh comes under BRO. As per the BRO, Srinagar to Leh highway is open from Late May to Mid November. So, this will be the best time to do Srinagar to Leh Road Trip. At this time, roads will be open, services will be available for travelers, weather will be good and in case of any mishappening, help will be available at some distance.
Please avoid taking old age people on this trip and also people who are not physically well. They will face issues with weather and comfortability during the trip. This road trip is suitable for youngsters as per our recommendation. You can think about taking Mid age people if you are going by Car.
What is the Cost of Srinagar to Leh Road Trip?
Estimation on our website for Srinagar to Leh road trip is given both for those who are going by Car and also for those who are going by bike. We’ve included all the necessary things like Fuel, Food, Stay, Vehicle (If Rented). So, let’s see how much this trip gonna cost you.
Cost of Srinagar to Leh Road Trip by Bike
Journey will start from Karan Nagar, Sri Nagar and the destination will be Kalachakra Stupa, Leh. For the bike, I am taking estimates for 2 People. Srinagar to Leh road trip will be of 5 Days and 4 Nights. On average of 25 Kmpl, Fuel cost will be approximately 2500 Rupees. If in case you have rented the bike, then you have to add Bike rental cost + 2500 Rupees.
For stay, you will be taking a hotel for 3 nights. You can get a nice hotel room for 2 people at 8,000 Rupees for 4 Nights (Day 1 11 AM to Day 2 11 AM, Day 2 11 AM to Day 3 11 AM***). Food including Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner will cost 7500 Rupees for 2 people. Totaling all the expenses, your Srinagar to Leh Road Trip by Bike will cost you 18,000+ Rupees approximately.
Cost of Srinagar to Leh Road Trip by Car
Journey will start from Karan Nagar, Sri Nagar and the destination will be Kalachakra Stupa, Leh. For Car, I am taking estimates for 4 people and a Petrol car. The trip will be of same 5 Days and 4 Nights. If in case you have rented your vehicle, then you have to add Car rental cost + fuel cost. On average, a car would give you a fuel economy of 12 Kmpl because on mountains you will be slow and gears will be changed frequently. Fuel will cost you 5500 Rupees approximately for a petrol car.
As you are going by Car, you will have to pay toll tax and other state taxes which will approximately cost you 1,000 rupees. For stay, you will be taking a hotel for 3 nights. You can get a nice hotel room for 4 people at 12,000 Rupees for 4 Nights (Day 1 11 AM to Day 2 11 AM, Day 2 11 AM to Day 3 11 AM***). Food including Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner will cost 15,000 Rupees for 4 people. Totaling all the expenses, your Srinagar to Leh Road Trip by Car will cost you 33,500+ Rupees approximately.
What is the Recommended Vehicle for Srinagar to Leh Road Trip?
Going on a road trip, your vehicle is the first thing you have to take care of. The road from Manali to Leh isn’t so good and there are a lot of rough places where you need to drive carefully. So, these are the recommended vehicle for this road trip:
- Car – Any Diesel / Petrol Hatchbacks, SUVs, Compact SUVs, Sedans can be taken for this road trip except Maruti Alto, Maruti 800. Also, if you generally face low ground clearance issues with your vehicle then don’t take that vehicle for this road trip.
- Bike & Scooty – You can use any bike or scooty for doing this trip. Scooters with manual gears are not recommended because your hands gonna get tired a lot. Also, scooty is not highly recommended as it will not be easy to tackle with rough surfaces with a scooty.
Best Route for Srinagar to Leh Road Trip
There is only one route available for doing this trip with ease. We will be explaining complete route to you here. Starting from Karan Nagar, Srinagar, this route will first take you to Kalachakra Stupa, Leh and then back to Srinagar.
1. NH1D Srinagar – Leh Highway (419 KM – 12 Hours Approximately) – Karan Nagar, Srinagar >> Wayul >> Sonmarg >> Baltal >> Drass >> Kargil >> Mulbekh >> Heniskot >> Alchi >> Leh (After leh, Follow route back to Srinagar if you have plan of getting back there).
Srinagar to Leh Route via Srinagar – Leh Highway (419 Kms and 12 Hours Approximately)
Srinagar to Leh is a long ride which is not preferred to do in 1 day. If you try to do it in 1 day, you gonna miss a lot of adventure, memories and take away pain and tiredness. Every traveler suggests doing trips like Srinagar to Leh in 2 days. In one day, cover 200 km and remaining on the next day. At night or in late evening you won’t be getting any services or help in such areas. So, it is good to stay in the middle, rest, enjoy and then continue. We will be telling everything about how you gonna utilize time, keep reading. We’ve listed hotels for stay in middle of trip which you can book in advance.
What are the Places to Visit During Srinagar to Leh Road Trip?
As you are going on a road trip, this means that you should explore and enjoy everything which comes in your way. I believe that you must visit all the famous places in your way to make the most out of your road trip. You will be free to stop at any place. We are mentioning only those places which are easily accessible and can be noticed easily while passing by. So, these are the places which you can visit during your Srinagar to Leh Road Trip:
- Wayul Bridge, Srinagar Leh Highway – This is a perfect location for your first break. Stand on the bridge, look at clear water, click some pictures, post updates on your social pages.
- Zozila War Memorial, Gumri – Not a much-visited place, but let’s go there and contribute some respect to the soldiers who sacrificed their lives in Zoji La during India Pakistan war (1947-1948).
- Kargil War Memorial, Kargil, Drass Sector – Most of us or maybe everyone knows about the Kargil war. Visit the war memorial and know about what happened, how and why. Also, contribute a token of appreciation to our heroes.
- Kargil City View Point, Kargil – Standing here, one can easily see entire Kargil city. You can click amazing pictures, videos, panoramas, and drone shots from this location.
- Mulbekh Monastery, Mulbekh – It is a holy place for buddhists. You can sit here for few minutes and feel the peace of the place.
- Fotula Top Viewing Deck, Fotula – It is the highest point on Srinagar – Leh highway located at hieght of 13479 ft.
- View Point, 194106 – It is an amazing place from where you can have an amazing view of roads among the mountains.
- The Lamayuru Monastery, Leh – It is an extremely popular monastery among tourists. You must go to this place to experience an amazing view and spend some time in peace.
- Magnetic Hill, 194101 – Here comes the place about which you must have heard. It is a well-known tourist point which is known for its mysterious power. Do give this place a try and see if your vehicle experience any magnetic action or not.
- Gurudwara Pathar Sahib, 194101 – It is a sacred site for Sikh religion. One can stay here and take a small break and spend some time in the peace of a Gurudwara here.
- Hall of Fame, Leh – This is an extremely important point to visit. Run by Indian Army, you will get to see all the weapons used in war history and a lot more about Indian Army and wars.
Well, now you are in Leh, explore it on your own and enjoy as much as you can because it will not be easy to come back to this place soon.
What are the Best Food Places on Srinagar to Leh Road Trip Route?
Being a seasonal route, Srinagar – Leh highway lacks a variety of food and restaurants. Also, at some points, you won’t get any food point for too long. At intervals, you will get food places but sometimes you will find yourself far from a food place. Avoid eating a lot of spices and also avoid trying unhealthy dishes. Among a lot of places lying between the route, there are some food points and restaurants from where you can have a good meal. We’ve listed down all the preferred food places in between Srinagar and Leh. These are the food places you should eat at:
- Easton Grand, Hari Pora – This is a good fine dining restaurant on Srinagar Leh route. You can have a proper lunch at this place.
- Delhi Darbat Dhaba, Ganderbal – By the time you reach this place, you must be looking for a food place if you haven’t ate anything. This is a good places for having meals and a small halt.
- Hill View Hotel & Restaurant, Drass – This restaurant is near to the kargil war memorial. So, you can take a proper halt at this place.
- Zeenat Ice Cream, Balti Bazar, Kargil – Would like to have Ice Cream with your pillion? Take a halt here.
- Tibetan Foods, Chanchick, Kargil – You can enjoy a variety of tibetan food at this restaurant.
- Rakesh Vaishno Punjabi Dhaba, Kargil – Have a basic meal here or you can also have a tea break here.
- Samyas Garden, Khalsi – This place is suitable for a group meal or a proper meal. You can eat as per your requirements here.
- Cafe de Saspol, Saspul – It is a fast food restaurant. If you are in mood of having fast food, you can stop here.
- Sangam Restaurant, Spituk – Zinchen Rd. – Again a restaurant where you can enjoy variety of food with friends.
Best Hotels to Stay in During Srinagar to Leh Road Trip
This route opens seasonally. Also, there aren’t many hotels for stay on this route. We will be listing here all the places which lies in-between the route where you can stay. It is suggested that you cover this route in 2 days. These are some best hotels to stay in during your Srinagar to Leh road trip. We have listed 5 hotels for each destination where you should take break.
Best Hotels for Stay in Srinagar
- Star Guest House – Rs.540 Per Day
- S Group of Houseboat – Rs.630 Per Day
- Fantasia Houseboats – Rs.2,790 Per Day
- Floating Heritage Group – Rs.2,310 Per Day
- Four Points by Sheraton, Srinagar – Rs.7,400 Per Day
Best Hotels for Stay in Kargil
- Bete Guest House – Rs.3,000 Per Day
- Maitreya Guest House Mulbeak – Rs.1,080 Per Day
- Trespone Valley Resort – Rs.2,500 Per Day
- The Kargil – Rs.6,300 Per Day
- Hotel Rangyul Kargil – Rs.2,000 Per Day
Best Hotels for Stay in Leh
- 1 BR Homestay in Upper Tukcha Road, Leh (F0A8), by Guesthouser – Rs.1765 Per Day
- OYO 14359 The Mir Villa – Rs.2205 Per Day
- Hotel Dolma Residency – Rs.3500 Per Day
- 1 BR Guesthouse in Chulung Old Road, Leh (B1DF), by Guesthouser – Rs.3529 Per Day
- Hotel Vamoosetrail Ladakh Palace – Rs.4050 Per Day
Where to get Petrol Pumps on Srinagar to Leh Road Trip?
Unlike Manali – leh highway, availability of fuel is not an issue at this route. Still we suggest you to take a can of Petrol / Diesel along with you for emergency purposes. There are many petrol pumps available on Manali to Leh Road Trip but some of them are too far. Have a look at them here and plan your journey according to availability of fuel:
- Nagbal Filling Station, Ganderbal
- Bharat Petroleum Station, Ganderbal
- Shaheed Showkat Filling Station, Ganderbal
- IndianOil Ganderbal Filling Station, Ganderbal
- Kashmir Fuel Centre, Ganderbal
- Wasan Filling Station, Hari Pora
- IndianOil Filling Station, Wussan
- HP Petrol Pump, Kargil
- IndianOil Petrol Pump, Khalsi
If you have any other query regarding srinagar to leh road trip then let us know in comment section below and we will definitely get back to you ASAP.