Index of Post
- 1 What is the Best time to do Manali to Leh Road Trip?
- 2 What is the Cost of Manali to Leh Road Trip?
- 3 What is the Recommended Vehicle for Manali to Leh Road Trip?
- 4 Route of Manali to Leh Road Trip
- 5 What are the Places to Visit During Leh to Manali Road Trip?
- 6 What are the Best Food Places on Manali to Leh Road Trip Route?
- 7 Best Hotels to Stay in During Leh to Manali Road Trip
- 8 Petrol Pumps on Manali to Leh Road Trip
Manali to Leh Road Trip is among the once in lifetime road trips for every traveler. Manali is no doubt one of the most popular tourist destinations in India. Located at high altitude in Himachal Pradesh, Manali is a resort town. Manali to Leh road trips is a thrilling experience traveling through high mountains, passes, dangerous roads, and scenic beauty. Manali – Leh highway was built as an alternative to Srinagar – Leh road.
Manali to Leh highway is a 474 Km long highway which begins from Manali. Due to weather conditions, this highway remains open from June to Mid-September only. If you visit this route outside of June to September time, you won’t get any assistance from the government which means if you get trapped in snow, No one will help you instead of magic.
Manali to Leh road trip is highly popular among bikers and road trip lovers. Manali to Leh highway leads to a dream destination for all travelers called Leh Ladakh. Cruizing on this route, you will see all wonders and offerings of nature. This route is beautiful as well as dangerous at the same time.
Planning to do this Manali to Leh Road Trips? As this is a hard route to cover, one must have a proper plan for doing this road trip. Don’t worry, We’ve got you covered with all the things you will be needing for this road trip. From trip cost to stay locations, we have everything you need to know for this road trip.
What is the Best time to do Manali to Leh Road Trip?
Manali can be visited throughout the year but there are limitations on going beyond Manali. As per the government rules, official time to do Manali to Leh road trip in June to September. In this time, roads are open and there are almost no weather problems. To have a safe ride, we recommend you to do this road trip from June to September. Also, during this time weather will be good for everyone. Avoid taking old age people along with you because they will encounter breathing issues and weather issues due to high altitude.
What is the Cost of Manali to Leh Road Trip?
Estimation on our website for Manali to Leh road trip is given both for those who are going by Car and also for those who are going by bike. We’ve included all the necessary things like Fuel, Food, Stay, Vehicle (If Rented). So, let’s see how much this trip gonna cost you.
Cost for Manali to Leh Road Trip by Bike
For example, We are taking start location as Delhi. From Delhi, Manali is approximately 530 Km. From Manali, If you go to Leh outside of official time, you will have to take a longer route which is about 998 Km. We are estimating this trip based on official visiting time by the government which remains open from June to Mid of September. For estimating cost of trip by Bike, I am taking cost for 1 person because going with a pillion isn’t comfortable and also not suggested. Firstly you have to reach Manali from delhi which will consume around 14-15 hours. It will be a 7 Days 6 Nights trip.
On average of 25 Kmpl, Fuel cost will be approximately 6000 Rupees (Delhi >> Manali >> Rohtang >> Leh >> Rohtang >> Manali >> Delhi). If in case you have rented the bike, then you have to add Bike rental cost + 6000 Rupees. For stay, you will be taking a hotel for 6 nights. You can get a nice hotel room at 1500 Per Night. Food including Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner will cost 8000 Rupees for 1 Person. Totaling all the expenses, your Manali to Leh Road Trip by Bike will cost you 24000+ Rupees approximately.
Cost for Manali to Leh Road Trip by Car
For example, We are taking start location as Delhi. From Delhi, Manali is approximately 530 Km. For estimating cost of trip by Car, I am taking cost for 4 people. Firstly you have to reach Manali from delhi which will consume around 15-17 hours (If you take proper halt for meals and photography breaks). It will be a 7 Days 6 Nights trip.
On average of 12 Kmpl, Fuel cost will be approximately 13000 Rupees (Delhi >> Manali >> Rohtang >> Leh >> Rohtang >> Manali >> Delhi). If in case you have rented the car, then you have to add car rental cost + 13000 Rupees. For stay, you will be taking a hotel for 6 nights. You can get a nice hotel room at 3000 Per Night for 4 People (3 People are generally allowed in a room, ask for an extra bed for 4th person). Because you are going by Car, you have to pay toll tax, approximately you can reserve 5000 rupees for toll tax. Food including Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner will cost 22000 Rupees for 4 People. Totaling all the expenses, your Manali to Leh Road Trip by Car will cost you 60000+ Rupees approximately which means 15,000 Per Person.
What is the Recommended Vehicle for Manali to Leh Road Trip?
Going on a road trip, your vehicle is the first thing you have to take care of. The road from Manali to Leh isn’t so good and there are a lot of rough places where you need to drive carefully. So, these are the recommended vehicle for this road trip:
- Car – Any Compact SUV or SUV is preferred (Petrol / Diesel) or a Car with decent ground clearance will work if you don’t have an SUV or Compact SUV. CNG and electric cars (like E2o) are not suggested because CNG won’t be able to give you good performance while going up on the mountains and also you will not be getting many CNG pumps for getting Gas fueled up (Especially after crossing Patiala, there are no CNG Pumps available). Electric cars are not able to do long journies, you will not get charging sockets in between the route.
- Bike & Scooty – You can use any bike for doing this trip. Scooters with manual gears are not recommended because your hands gonna get tired a lot. Also, scooty is not suggested as it will not be easy to tackle with rough surfaces with a scooty.
Route of Manali to Leh Road Trip
There is only one route available for doing this trip with ease. We will be explaining complete route to you here. Starting from Delhi, this route will first take you to manali and then to Leh and then back to Delhi.
1. NH44, and then Leh-Manali Highway (1006 KM – 15 Hours Approximately) – Delhi >> Ambala >> Bilaspur >> Sundernagar >> Mandi >> Kullu >> Dobhi >> Manali (Stay at Manali for a Night) >> Rohtang >> Keylong >> Jispa >> Zing Zing Bar >> Sarchu >> Pang >> Debring >> Gya >> Upohi >> Thiksey >> Leh (After leh, Follow route back to Delhi).
Manali to Leh Route via Leh-Manali Highway (474 Kms and 12 Hours Approximately)
Continue towards Rohtang which is about 51 Km from Manali. After reaching Rohtang, take a break and click some pictures and then continue your journey towards Surajtal and Baralacha La using Leh-Manali Highway. Following this one route called Leh-Manali Highway, you will easily reach Leh passing through Rohtang, Surajtal, Baralacha La, Gata Loops, Nakee La, Lungalacha La, More Plains, Taglang La, and then reach Leh.
Do this 12 hours journey in 2 days taking proper halts at food points. Take stay at Keylong, Jispa, and Sarchu for a comfortable and safe ride. Avoid riding in the dark.
What are the Places to Visit During Leh to Manali Road Trip?
Because you are going on a road trip, this means that you should explore and enjoy everything which comes in your way. I believe that you must visit all the famous places in your way to make the most out of your road trip. You will be free to stop at any place. We are mentioning only those places which are easily accessible and can be noticed easily while passing by. So, these are the places which you can visit during your Leh to Manali Road Trip
- Manali Nature Park – This is an extremely popular place where people go while their trip to Manali. You should go to this place during your road trip.
- Nehru Kund, Bashisht – There is a story about this place that Nehru Ji used to take water from this Kund to Delhi. This is a popular tourist attraction, you can enjoy the scenic beauty and rock mountains at this place.
- Solang Valley, VPO Palchan – With over 7,500 reviews on Google Maps, Solang valley is one of the favorite places of every traveler. Solang Valley is a must to visit place.
- Gulaba Viewpoint, Kothi – Gulaba Viewpoint is a place where you can get a 360 view of mountains, trees, snow, and breathtaing nature. This is a perfect place for photography.
- Gulaba Tourist Point, Leh Manali Hwy – It is again a perfect location for taking some awesome pictures.
- Filmcity Hill View Point, Kullu – You will find a lot of vehicles stopped at this place. This is again a spot for photography for visitors.
- Rohtang Pass – With over 3,800 reviews on Google, Rohtang pass is one of the best tourist spot near Manali. This is a major spot to take a halt on Leh-Manali Highway. Rohtang Pass is the highest pass on the eastern Pir Panjal Range of the himalayas.
- Suraj Tal – It is a sacred water body which is called lake of lord Sun. It lies just below the Bara-lacha-la pass.
- Bara-Lacha-La Pass – Bara-Lacha-La Pass is highest mountain pass in Zanskar range. It connects Lahul district with Ladakh.
- Thiksay Monastry, Thiksey – Thiksay monastry is a Large hilltop monastery from the mid 1400s, with temples, a nunnery & a variety of Buddhist art.
Now you are in Leh, Take rest and then start exploring Leh.
What are the Best Food Places on Manali to Leh Road Trip Route?
Manali to leh highway doesn’t have a lot of places where you can get good meal. At intervals you will get food places but sometimes you will find yourself far from a food place. Avoid eating a lot of spices and also avoid trying unhealthy dishes. Among a lot of places lying between the route, there are some food points and restaurants from where you can have a good meal. We’ve listed down all the preferred food places in between Manali to Leh. These are the food places you should eat at:
- Gufa Hotel, Teling, Himachal Pradesh – You can get yourself a complete meal at this palce at reasonable prices.
- Sonam Dhaba, Gondhla – From here you can pick snacks, packed food items, and soft drinks for your ride.
- Momos and Meggi Shop, Sumnam, Himachal Pradesh – Take a small break at this place and enjoy the all time and everyone’s favorite maggie.
- Rolling Stones Camping and Restaurant, Jispa – Long time riding, its time to take a break and have a meal.
- Chamba Dhaba Sunny, Killingsarai – This is another decent place on Leh Manali Highway where you can have a meal.
- Whisky Nala – It is a place where you can take a proper break including a sleep and meal.
- Chuzin Cafe, Choglamsar – Take a small breat at this place and have a lite meal and then continue towards your destination.
- Pangong Restaurant, Paru – Now this is the most famous food point on this Leh – Manali highway. You should take a halt and have a meal over this place and then continue towards Leh and you will reach soon there.
Best Hotels to Stay in During Leh to Manali Road Trip
This route opens seasonally. Also, there aren’t many hotels for stay on this route. We will be listing here all the places which lies in-between the route where you can stay. It is suggested that you cover this route in 2 days. These are some best hotels to stay in durin your Manali to Leh road trip. We have listed 5 hotels for each destination where you should take break.
Best Hotels for Stay in Manali
- Treebo Woodstock Inn – Rs.1300 Per Day
- Kalista Resort – Rs.1360 Per Day
- The Whispering Inn by Vivaan – Rs.1600 Per Day
- The Hosteller Manali – Rs.999 Per Day
- Hotel Mountain Face by Snow City Hotels – Rs.1260 Per Day
Best Hotels for Stay in Zing Zing Bar
- 1 BR Boutique Stay in Jisp, Distt. (E00F) by Guesthouser – Rs.3500 Per Day
- 1 BR Tent in Sarchu, Leh, by Guesthouser (7B73) – Rs.3600 Per Day
- Tent Accomodation in Sarchu, Leh, by Guesthouser 20464 – Rs.4500 Per Day
Best Hotels to Stay in Leh
- 1 BR Homestay in Upper Tukcha Road, Leh (F0A8), by Guesthouser – Rs.1765 Per Day
- OYO 14359 The Mir Villa – Rs.2205 Per Day
- Hotel Dolma Residency – Rs.3500 Per Day
- 1 BR Guesthouse in Chulung Old Road, Leh (B1DF), by Guesthouser – Rs.3529 Per Day
- Hotel Vamoosetrail Ladakh Palace – Rs.4050 Per Day
Petrol Pumps on Manali to Leh Road Trip
Leh – Manali highway passes through plains and places where you won’t be getting any population, food points, hotels, and not even petrol pumps. So, it is suggested that you take a can of Petrol / Diesel along with you for emergency purposes. There are few petrol pumps available on Manali to Leh Road Trip. Have a look at them here and plan your journey according to availability of fuel.
- Lahaul Potato Growers Indian Oil Petrol Pump, Keylong Near Tandi.
- Indian Oil Petrol Diesel Station, Karu, Keylong – Leh Road.
If you have any other query then let us know in comment section below and we will definitely get back to you ASAP.