|Best Time for this Trip||May to October|
|Trip Distance||1,030 Kms from 1 Side|
|Cost of Trip by Bike||₹30,000|
|Cost of Trip by Car||₹52,000|
|Recommended Vehicle||Any Car, Bike, Scooty. It must be serviced and in good condition.|
|Best Route||Delhi to Ambala by NH44 then via Manali-Leh Highway - Civil Lines, Delhi >> Murthal >> Karnal >> Kurukshetra >> Ambala >> Kharar >> Rupnagar >> Swarghat >> Barmana >> Sundernagar >> Mandi >> Bhuntar >> Kullu >> Naggar >> Manali >> Raling >> Keylong >> Jispa >> Zing Zinga Bar >> Pang >> Debring >> Upshi >> Thiksey >> Choglamsar >> Leh|
|Places to Visit on Route||Gurudwara Shri Pataal Puri Sahib, Pulghrat Bridge, Valley View Point Magal, The Great Himalayan National Park Shamshi, Nature Park Mohal, Nehru Kund Bashisht, Solang Valley VPO Palchan, Gulaba Viewpoint, Gulaba Tourist Point, Filmcity Hill View Point Kullu, Rohtang Pass, Suraj Tal, Bara-Lacha-La Pass, Thiksay Monastry.|
|Food Places on Route||Shree Jee Dhaba, Amrik Sukhdev, Garam Dharam Dhaba, 70 Mile Stone Dhaba & Restaurant, Pearl Dhaba, Divine Star Dhaba, Ambala Haveli, Dubey Canteen Rupnagar, Jai Ambe Jai Jagdambey Dhaba, Briju Dhaba, Cafe Bilaspur, Bahadur Dhaba, New Shri Khand Bhojanalaya, Tibetan Fast Food, Garvit Tandoori Dhaba, Mamu Dhaba, Gufa Hotel, Sonam Dhaba, Momos and Meggi Shop Sumnam, Rolling Stones Camping and Restaurant, Chamba Dhaba Sunny, Whisky Nala, Chuzin Cafe, Pangong Restaurant.|
|Best Hotels for Stay in Manali|
Hotel Snow View
Royal View Cottage
The Whispering Inn by Vivaan
Hotel Hadimba Way
|Best Hotels for Stay in Leh|
1 BR Homestay in Upper Tukcha Road, Leh (F0A8), by Guesthouser
OYO 14359 The Mir Villa
Hotel Dolma Residency
1 BR Guesthouse in Chulung Old Road, Leh (B1DF), by Guesthouser
Hotel Vamoosetrail Ladakh Palace
|Read the article given below to know everything about this trip in details.|
Please Rate this Road Trip:
Trip to Leh Ladakh is one of the dreams of travelers around the globe. The tempting beauty of Leh attracts every traveler. So if you are the one who is going to witness the thrill and beauty of Leh, then you are in the right place before going on the trip. We’ll be telling each and everything you need to know about Delhi to Leh Road Trip. This Delhi to Leh Road Trip is going to include several days of riding.
Travelers, or as we say, Riders will pass through extremely popular tourist spots like Kullu, Manikaran, Manali, Sonmarg, Zojila Pass, Kargil, Fotula Pass, and many more. So, this is going to be an adventurous road trip. It will be a 6 days and 5 nights trip out of which you will be having 2 dedicated days to explore Leh region. There’s a trick on the route, if you are going in season, you’ll pass through Rohtang Pass which is a seasonal route. But if you are going in off-season, you have to go through a long route. We’ll tell you about both the route in this article.
Despite being a dream trip, it isn’t the one which any rider can do. The route passes through dangerous curves and only skilled bikers can do this without hassles. Oh, actually skilled riders do face problmes sometimes. If you are doing it in pair then the bike is the best way to do Delhi to Leh Road Trip. If you are in a group of 3 or more, prefer to take a car instead of multiple bikes. Length of this road trip is over to 1000 Kms long via Leh Manali Highway which will take approximately 26-30 hours of bike ride.
Delhi will be the starting point of your trip. There are several places where travelers take their halfway halt like Murthal, Karnal, Chandigarh, Kullu, Manali, Rohtang, etc. are the most favorite spot. The road which will lead you towards your destination is full of nature’s surprises, gifts, and soothing landscapes. So, let’s start with the entire itinerary of this road trip without taking more of your time.
You Maybe Interested In: Srinagar to Leh Road Trip
What is the Best time to do Delhi to Leh Road Trip?
Before you start planning your trip, you must know the best or suitable time to visit the place you are planning to go to. Leh is one of the places which are inaccessible during the winter season. Although there are ways by which you can reach Leh. If you are trying to go Leh in winters, it’ll be comparatively dangerous. The right time to visit Leh starts from May and continues till October. Starting from Manali, Leh – Manali highway has its own surprises and challenges. There are a few points on the route where you need to be careful.
The availability of food, repair, fuel, and other essential services is good on the route. The route of the trip goes through Rohtang Pass which opens in late May. So, this will be the best time to do Delhi to Leh Road Trip. At this time, roads will be open, services will be available for travelers, the weather will be good, and in case of any mishappening, help will be available at some distance.
Please avoid taking old age people on this trip and also people who are not physically well. They may face issues with weather and comfortability during the trip. This road trip is suitable for youngsters as per our recommendation. You can think about taking Mid age people if you are going by Car.
What is the Cost of Delhi to Leh Road Trip?
Estimation on our website for Delhi to Leh road trip is given both for those who are going by Car and also for those who are going by bike. We’ve included all the necessary things like Fuel, Food, Stay, Vehicle (If Rented). So, let’s see how much this trip gonna cost you.
Cost of Delhi to Leh Road Trip by Bike
Journey will start from Civil Lines, Delhi and the destination will be Kalachakra Stupa, Leh. For the bike, I am giving estimates for 2 People. Delhi to Leh road trip will be of 6 Days and 5 Nights. On average of 24 Kmpl, Fuel cost will be approximately 6,600 Rupees. If in case you have rented the bike, then you have to add Bike rental cost + 6,600 Rupees.
For stay, you will be taking a hotel for 5 nights. You can get a nice hotel room for 2 people at 10,000 Rupees for 5 Nights (Day 1 11 AM to Day 2 11 AM, Day 2 11 AM to Day 3 11 AM***). Food including Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner will cost 8,500 Rupees for 2 people. Also, take 3000-4000 rupees additional for uncertain expenses like repairs. Totaling all the expenses, your Delhi to Leh Road Trip by Bike will cost you 30,000+ Rupees approximately.
Cost of Delhi to Leh Road Trip by Car
Journey will start from Civil Lines, Delhi and the destination will be Kalachakra Stupa, Leh. For Car, I am taking estimates for 4 people and a Petrol car. The trip will be of same 6 Days and 5 Nights. If in case you have rented your vehicle, then you have to add Car rental cost + fuel cost. Zoomcar is providing self-drive SUVs for trips like Leh and Ladakh, you can try them if you are thinking to rent a car. On average, a car would give you a fuel economy of 12 Kmpl because on mountains you will be slow and gears will be changed frequently. Fuel will cost you 13,000 Rupees approximately for a petrol car.
As you are going by Car, you will have to pay toll tax and other state taxes which will approximately cost you 1,000 rupees. For stay, you will be taking a hotel for 5 nights. You can get nice hotel rooms for 4 people at 15,000 Rupees for 5 Nights (Day 1 11 AM to Day 2 11 AM, Day 2 11 AM to Day 3 11 AM***). Food including Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner will cost 18,000 Rupees for 4 people. Along with these expenses, keep 5000 rupees extra for uncertain expenses like repairs and car wash. Totaling all the expenses, your Delhi to Leh Road Trip by Car will cost you 52,000+ Rupees approximately.
What is the Recommended Vehicle for Delhi to Leh Road Trip?
Going on a road trip, your vehicle is the first thing you have to take care of. The road from Manali to Leh isn’t so good and there are a lot of rough places where you need to drive carefully. So, these are the recommended vehicle for this road trip:
- Car – Any Diesel / Petrol Hatchbacks, SUVs, Compact SUVs, Sedans can be taken for this road trip except Maruti Alto, Maruti 800. Also, if you generally face low ground clearance issues with your vehicle then don’t take that vehicle for this road trip.
- Bike & Scooty – You can use any bike or scooty for doing this trip. Scooters with manual gears are not recommended because your hands gonna get tired a lot. Also, scooty is not highly recommended as it will not be easy to tackle with rough surfaces with a scooty.
Best Route for Delhi to Leh Road Trip
There is only one route available for doing this trip with ease. We will be explaining complete route to you here. Starting from Civil Lines, Delhi this route will take you to Kalachakra Stupa, Leh and then back to Delhi once you are done exploring.
1. Delhi to Ambala by NH44 then via Manali-Leh Highway (1,014 KM – 26-30 Hours Approximately) – Civil Lines, Delhi >> Murthal >> Karnal >> Kurukshetra >> Ambala >> Kharar >> Rupnagar >> Swarghat >> Barmana >> Sundernagar >> Mandi >> Bhuntar >> Kullu >> Naggar >> Manali >> Raling >> Keylong >> Jispa >> Zing Zinga Bar >> Pang >> Debring >> Upshi >> Thiksey >> Choglamsar >> Leh (After leh, Follow the same route back to Delhi).
Delhi to Leh Route via NH44 and Leh – Manali Highway (1,014 Kms and 26-30 Hours Approximately)
Delhi to Leh is a long route which is not preferred to do in 1 day. If you try to do it in 1 day, you gonna miss a lot of adventure, memories and take away pain and tiredness. Every traveler suggests doing rides for trips like Delhi to Leh in 2 days with taking proper halts and breaks. In one day, cover Delhi to Manali, and remaining on the next day. At night or in late evening you won’t be getting any services or help areas beyond Manali. So, it is good to stay in the middle, rest, enjoy and then continue. We will be telling everything about how you gonna utilize time, keep reading. We’ve listed hotels for stay in middle of trip which you can book in advance.
What are the Places to Visit During Delhi to Leh Road Trip?
As you are going on a road trip, this means that you should explore and enjoy everything which comes in your way. I believe that you must visit all the famous places in your way to make the most out of your road trip. Feel like a free soul and explore each and every interesting thing which comes in your way. We are mentioning only those places which are easily accessible and can be noticed easily while passing by. So, these are the places which you can visit during your Delhi to Leh Road Trip:
- Gurudwara Shri Pataal Puri Sahib – If you are feeling tired, you can stop here and take a break in the peace of the gurudwara. Pataal Puri Sahib is also a scenic place where you can see some soothing greenery around you.
- Pulghrat Bridge – It is a nice place to take a photo break. Stop here and enjoy the view of river flowing underneath.
- Valley View Point, Magal – This particular valley view point is less explored by the passing travellers. It is such a scenic spot from where you can see everything in one frame which includes river, mountains, clouds, snow covered mountain range, valley, houses, roads, and what else.
- The Great Himalayan National Park, Shamshi – This is the most scenic national park of the country you’ve ever visited. With beautiful waterfalls, landscapes, Instaworthy views, huts, birds, and a lot more, this place is worth the visit.
- Nature Park, Mohal – Nature park is more of a family place. This is a well built park situated next to the river Beas offering you a scenic view of river and tall mountains. Perfect place for groups to stay and collect some pictures.
- Take a day to enjoy Manali and continue to Leh after that.
- Nehru Kund, Bashisht – There is a story about this place that Nehru Ji used to take water from this Kund to Delhi. This is a popular tourist attraction, you can enjoy the scenic beauty and rock mountains at this place.
- Solang Valley, VPO Palchan – With over 7,500 reviews on Google Maps, Solang valley is one of the favorite places of every traveler. Solang Valley is a must to visit place.
- Gulaba Viewpoint, Kothi – Gulaba Viewpoint is a place where you can get a 360 view of mountains, trees, snow, and breathtaing nature. This is a perfect place for photography.
- Gulaba Tourist Point, Leh Manali Hwy – It is again a perfect location for taking some awesome pictures.
- Filmcity Hill View Point, Kullu – You will find a lot of vehicles stopped at this place. This is again a spot for photography for visitors.
- Rohtang Pass – With over 3,800 reviews on Google, Rohtang pass is one of the best tourist spot near Manali. This is a major spot to take a halt on Leh-Manali Highway. Rohtang Pass is the highest pass on the eastern Pir Panjal Range of the himalayas.
- Suraj Tal – It is a sacred water body which is called lake of lord Sun. It lies just below the Bara-lacha-la pass.
- Bara-Lacha-La Pass – Bara-Lacha-La Pass is highest mountain pass in Zanskar range. It connects Lahul district with Ladakh.
- Thiksay Monastry, Thiksey – Thiksay monastry is a Large hilltop monastery from the mid 1400s, with temples, a nunnery & a variety of Buddhist art.
Well, now you are in Leh, explore it on your own and enjoy as much as you can because it will not be easy to come back to this place soon.
What are the Best Food Places on Delhi to Leh Road Trip Route?
When it comes to food, this route is different at different times. When you are traveling towards manali, you will not be facing any issues with the availability of food and options. As soon as you cross Manali, as the landscape passes, you’ll start to notice that the civilization is getting less by the kms you are covering. So, you’ll be getting fewer food points. Also, at some points, you won’t get any food shop for long distances. Avoid eating a lot of spices and also avoid trying unhealthy dishes. Among a lot of places lying between the route, there are some food points and restaurants from where you can have a good meal. We’ve listed down all the preferred food places in between Delhi and Leh. These are the food places you should eat at:
- Shree Jee Dhaba, Murthal – A newly opened dhaba in murthal which stands in comeptition with leading Amrik Sukhdev and Garam Dharam Dhaba. You should try this place if you have already tried Amrik Sukhdev.
- Amrik Sukhdev, Murthal – The most popular dhaba in Murthal with over 90,000 reviews on Google local listings. This is one of the best places around delhi which you should try if you like to try traditional dishes. Paranthas are quite popular in Murthal so you’ll get to see almost similar paranthas at Amrik, Shree Jee, and Garam Dharam.
- Garam Dharam Dhaba, Murthal – Offering almost the same type of dishes like its rivals, Garam Dharam Dhaba is a must try. It offeres a Dharmendra themed ambience with some old vehicles on which you can click some classy pictures.
- 70 Mile Stone Dhaba & Restaurant, Panipat – 70 Mile Stone is one of the popular dhabas on the National Highway one. When you are going through Panipat and feel like taking a break, this is the place to head towards.
- Pearl Dhaba, Ghauranda – Located a few kms after the Panipat Toll Plaza, Peal dhaba is quite popular for breakfast among the travelers.
- Divine Star Dhaba, Raipur Roran – Divine star dhaba is a punjabi dhaba like many dhabas falling on Delhi to Chandigarh route. You can enjoy delicious dinner and book a room on OYO to have a break at night if you are planning to.
- Ambala Haveli, Ambala – Belonging to the popular hotel chain of Haveli in Punjab. Ambala Haveli is a premium place to stay and have lunch and dinner at. Avoid eating chinese food at haveli because as per our experience, Haveli is not good with chinese food.
- Dubey Canteen, Rupnagar, Punjab – Situated near to IIT Ropar, Dubey Canteen is a nice place for having a quick break over a maggie and chai.
- Jai Ambe Jai Jagdambey Dhaba, Swarghat, Himachal Pradesh – As soon as you start to climp up on the hills, if in case hunger hits you, this is the perfect place to head towards.
- Briju Dhaba, Talsri, Himachal Pradesh – This dhaba comes before you reach to Bilaspur. Just an ordinary dhaba where you can take a break and eat something if hunger is hitting you.
- Cafe Bilaspur, Bilaspur, HP – Counted among the most popular food points in Bilaspur for locals and travelers. It is a restaurant by Himachal Pradesh Tourism where you can get good quality food at reasonable prices.
- Bahadur Dhaba, Banauli, Himachal Pradesh – If you like “Makke ki Roti (Chapati made from Corn flour)”, then this is the place to stop at and try traditional makke ki roti in mountains.
- New Shri Khand Bhojanalaya, Jamla, Himachal Pradesh – It is a perfect place to stop and have lunch with proper seating arrangements and parking space.
- Tibetan Fast Food, Sundernagar, Himachal Pradesh – Going to leh, you can taste some amazing tibetan dishes at this place in Sundernagar. Ample parking space is available, you can spend a decent time here with fellow travelers.
- Garvit Tandoori Dhaba, Mandi, Himachal Pradesh – Probably the best place for having tandoori dishes on the Delhi to Manali route.
- Mamu Dhaba, Bhuntar, Himachal Pradesh – Mama dhaba is the most popular dhaba in Bhuntar, although you are very close to your destination when you are in Bhuntar, still you can take a quick break and continue your ride.
- Gufa Hotel, Teling, Himachal Pradesh – You can get yourself a complete meal at this palce at reasonable prices.
- Sonam Dhaba, Gondhla – From here you can pick snacks, packed food items, and soft drinks for your ride.
- Momos and Meggi Shop, Sumnam, Himachal Pradesh – Take a small break at this place and enjoy the all time and everyone’s favorite maggie.
- Rolling Stones Camping and Restaurant, Jispa – Long time riding, its time to take a break and have a meal.
- Chamba Dhaba Sunny, Killingsarai – This is another decent place on Leh Manali Highway where you can have a meal.
- Whisky Nala – It is a place where you can take a proper break including a sleep and meal.
- Chuzin Cafe, Choglamsar – Take a small breat at this place and have a lite meal and then continue towards your destination.
- Pangong Restaurant, Paru – Now this is the most famous food point on this Leh – Manali highway. You should take a halt and have a meal over this place and then continue towards Leh and you will reach soon there.
Best Hotels for Stay During Delhi to Leh Road Trip
This route opens seasonally. Also, there aren’t many hotels for stay on this route. We will be listing here all the places which lies in-between the route where you can stay. It is suggested that you cover this route in 2 days. These are some best hotels to stay in during your Delhi to Leh road trip. We have listed 5 hotels for each destination where you should take break.
Best Hotels for Stay in Manali
- Hotel Keylinga – Rs.595 Per Day
- Hotel Snow View – Rs.3,500 Per Day
- Royal View Cottage – Rs.501 Per Day
- The Whispering Inn by Vivaan – Rs.2,400 Per Day
- Hotel Hadimba Way – Rs.600 Per Day
Best Hotels for Stay in Leh
- 1 BR Homestay in Upper Tukcha Road, Leh (F0A8), by Guesthouser – Rs.1765 Per Day
- OYO 14359 The Mir Villa – Rs.2205 Per Day
- Hotel Dolma Residency – Rs.3500 Per Day
- 1 BR Guesthouse in Chulung Old Road, Leh (B1DF), by Guesthouser – Rs.3529 Per Day
- Hotel Vamoosetrail Ladakh Palace – Rs.4050 Per Day
Where to get Petrol Pumps on Manali to Leh Road Trip?
After crossing Manali, you will start to notice that there are very few petrol pumps available on the route. We suggest you to take a can of Petrol / Diesel along with you for emergency purposes. There are petrol pumps available on Manali to Leh route but some of them are too far. Have a look at them here and plan your journey according to availability of fuel:
- Manali Petrol Pump
- Tandi Petrol Pump
- Karu Petrol Pump
- Leh Petrol Pump
If you have any other query regarding Delhi to Leh road trip then let us know in comment section below and we will definitely get back to you ASAP.
Delhi to Leh Road Trip FAQs
- Shree Jee Dhaba, Murthal
- Amrik Sukhdev, Murthal
- Garam Dharam Dhaba, Murthal
- 70 Mile Stone Dhaba & Restaurant, Panipat
- Pearl Dhaba, Ghauranda
- Divine Star Dhaba, Raipur Roran
- Ambala Haveli, Ambala
- Dubey Canteen, Rupnagar, Punjab
- Jai Ambe Jai Jagdambey Dhaba, Swarghat, Himachal Pradesh
- Briju Dhaba, Talsri, Himachal Pradesh
- Cafe Bilaspur, Bilaspur, HP
- Bahadur Dhaba, Banauli, Himachal Pradesh
- New Shri Khand Bhojanalaya, Jamla, Himachal Pradesh
- Tibetan Fast Food, Sundernagar, Himachal Pradesh
- Garvit Tandoori Dhaba, Mandi, Himachal Pradesh
- Mamu Dhaba, Bhuntar, Himachal Pradesh
- Gufa Hotel, Teling, Himachal Pradesh
- Sonam Dhaba, Gondhla
- Momos and Meggi Shop, Sumnam, Himachal Pradesh
- Rolling Stones Camping and Restaurant, Jispa
- Chamba Dhaba Sunny, Killingsarai
- Whisky Nala
- Chuzin Cafe, Choglamsar
- Pangong Restaurant, Paru
- Gurudwara Shri Pataal Puri Sahib
- Pulghrat Bridge
- Valley View Point, Magal
- The Great Himalayan National Park, Shamshi
- Nature Park, Mohal
- Nehru Kund, Bashisht
- Solang Valley, VPO Palchan
- Gulaba Viewpoint, Kothi
- Gulaba Tourist Point, Leh Manali Hwy
- Filmcity Hill View Point, Kullu
- Rohtang Pass
- Suraj Tal
- Bara-Lacha-La Pass
- Thiksay Monastry, Thiksey
Delhi to Ambala by NH44 then via Manali-Leh Highway (1,014 KM – 26-30 Hours Approximately) – Civil Lines, Delhi >> Murthal >> Karnal >> Kurukshetra >> Ambala >> Kharar >> Rupnagar >> Swarghat >> Barmana >> Sundernagar >> Mandi >> Bhuntar >> Kullu >> Naggar >> Manali >> Raling >> Keylong >> Jispa >> Zing Zinga Bar >> Pang >> Debring >> Upshi >> Thiksey >> Choglamsar >> Leh (After leh, Follow the same route back to Delhi).
Delhi to Leh Road Trip by Bike will cost you 30,000+ Rupees approximately. Delhi to Leh Road Trip by Car will cost you 52,000+ Rupees approximately.
The right time to visit Leh starts from May and continues till October. Starting from Manali, Leh – Manali highway has its own surprises and challenges. There are a few points on the route where you need to be careful.