Here in this Salta Road Trip Itinerary, we’ve tried including as much information as you’ll need during the trip. Below you’ll find the cost of the journey, places you can visit during the trip, food places, best hotels for stay, and list of fuel stations that will help you plan the trip. Along with Salta, you can also read our Ruta 40 Road Trip Guide that includes the entire 15 days road trip plan covering over 5,000 kms of famous National Route 40.
You can access Salta Road Trip Map here on Google Maps.
In this Salta Argentina Road Trip Guide, we’ll take a look at:
Province Salta is home to remarkable sights, culture, tradition, and famous attractions. Enriched with places like Cuesta del Obispo, MAAM, Salinas Grandes, Anfitearto Natural, Train on the clouds, and more, Salta is one of the most popular tourist spots in Argentina.
Without taking more time, let’s move to our Salta Road Trip Guide. We’ll tell you everything you need to know before getting in the car. The prices we have mentioned here are in USD, not in ARP.
Cost of Salta Argentina Road Trip
For a common understanding, we’ve taken Salta City as the starting point of this trip. To make things clear, we are going on a Salta Province Road Trip. Many people get confused between Salta City and Province. Our cost estimations for the trip will include fuel, hotel, food, and tourist destinations fee. So, you’ll be getting a quite clear idea of Salta road trip cost. Also, as mentioned above, all the prices indicated in this guide are in US$s.
During the trip, we’ll be covering about 550 Km of stretch driving on roads. Below we’ve detailed the cost but let me tell you in short that Salta Argentina Road Trip will cost you approximately $400 by a Bike for two people and $550 by Car for four people.
Cost of Trip by Bike
- Fuel – On the average of 25 kilometers per liter, bike will be consuming 64 Liters of fuel (Salta City >> Cachi >> Cafayate >> Salta) which will cost you $20.
- Food – Food will cost you about $30 per day for two people. So, the approximate cost of food will be $120 maximum.
- Accomodation – You’ll easily get decent hotel stay at $36-$77 per night, So the cost of stays will be approximately $146 to $189. Also, we’ll be mentioning best hotels for stay in itinerary of each day.
- Miscellenous – For other expenses like tickets, toll taxes, repairs, etc., you can count $100 extra.
- Total – Salta Argentina Road Trip by bike will cost you approximately about $400 for two people.
Cost of Trip by Car (Cost for 4)
- Fuel (Petrol) – On the average of 14 kilometers per liter, car will be consuming 97 Liters of fuel (Salta City >> Cachi >> Cafayate >> Salta) which will cost you $31.
- Food – Food will cost you about $50 per day for four people. So, the approximate cost of food will be $200 maximum.
- Accomodation – You’ll easily get decent hotel stay at $42-$85 per night, So the cost of stays will be approximately $156 to $205. Also, we’ll be mentioning hotels in itinerary of each day.
- Miscellenous – For other expenses like tickets, toll taxes, repairs, etc., you can count $150 extra.
- Total – Salta Road Trip by Car will cost you approximately about $550 for four people.
What will be the Best time for the trip?
Weather of Salta is mostly sunny around the year so one can plan a trip to Salta anytime. Good weather around the year makes Salta a perfect tourist destination. So, no matter what time you are visiting Salta, you won’t be in trouble due to the weather at least.
Places to Visit in Salta during the Trip
With the beautiful landscape of the Andes and sunny weather all around the year, Salta is the most prominent tourist spot in the Northwest region of Argentina. The streets of Salta is vibrant with Spanish architecture and preserved cobblestones. Influence and traditions retained in Salta as it didn’t attract mush European migrants. There are plenty of places that you can visit during the Salta Argentina road trip. Let’s have a look at tourist attractions:
Salta Road Trip Itinerary (Day-by-Day)
People those who didn’t experience a road trip yet often ask me why people love road-tripping so much? I tell them what I feel; Road Trip is about having wheels and freedom to choose the road you want to take, places you want to stop at, having the flexibility to change the plan, having meals on a ride, and enjoying music with fellows. All these small things make Roadtripping great for every traveller.
Itinerary of Salta Argentina Road Trips starts from Salta City. Salta City is the primary point of attraction and exploring in this road trip. So, we’ll be spending a couple of days here. We’ve tried mentioning as much information as we can for our readers. We hope you get a perfect plan for your Salta road trip with us.
Day 1 and 2: Salta City and Surroundings
Salta city is the central tourist spot in Salta Province. You cannot explore Salta city in a day, so we’ll be staying for two days exploring the city. We’ll suggest you leave around 9 AM to start exploring the city. On Day 1, we’ll be exploring these places:
- Museo Guemes
- Museum of High Altitude Archaeology
- History Museum of the North
- Cathedral of Salta
- Iglesia San Francisco
- Craft Market Salta
All these places are so close to each other that you can easily walk from one to another location. Craft Market is the only place where you need to drive as it is a bit away from other sites.
On Day 2, we’ll be exploring tourist attractions located in the outskirts. In total, you are going to visit four tourist spots on day 2. So, wake up early, have breakfast, and get ready for the day. Here are the places we’ll be visiting:
- 20 de Febrero Monument
- Santuario Virgen del Cerro
- Monument General Martin Miguel de Guemes
- Cerro San Bernardo
Food Places in Salta
- Dona Salta – It is a traditional restaurant in Salta city and also the most popular there. The Popular dishes of Dona Salta are Saltena, Tamales, Locro, and Cabrito.
- McDonald’s – Your favorite food chain is also available in Salta. It is the second most popular restaurant in Salta.
- Peña La Vieja Estación – It is a Gastropub, the most popular Gastropub of Salta. You can enjoy music, party, and dinner with popular dishes like Folklore, Empanadas, and Saltena.
- Comidas Arabes Dubai – It is a modern ambiance Arabic food restaurant where people enjoy lunch and dinner with their family and friends.
- Mak Lucas Group – Mak Lucas is a fast food restaurant popular for milanese, lomito, potato, sangucheria, and beers.
Best Hotels for Stay in Salta
Fuel Stations in Salta
- Refinor, Mendoza Centro, A4400 Salta, Argentina
- Shell, 181, Av. Hipólito Yrigoyen 11, Salta, Argentina
Day 3: Cachi and los Cardones National Park
Get up early in the morning and get ready to leave for Cachi at 7 AM so that we can get maximum out of the day 3 of Salta Argentina Road Trip. The distance of Cachi from Salta is about 162 Km. We’ll be visiting Valle Encantado and Parque Nacional Los Cardones. Many people face issues while navigating on the roads of Salta, so try to be a little focused on what Google Maps is telling you.
Our first stop on Day 3 will be Valle Encantado which is about 106 km away from Salta City. Valle Encantado is a fantastic place with greenery all around. You can spend a couple of hours here walk and clicking pictures. Unfortunately, you cannot bring the vehicle here, but it’ll be an enjoyable experience on feet. The second stop will be Parque Nacional Los Cardones where you’ll find giant cactus plants. Drive for about 15 km ahead of Valle Encantado, and you’ll reach Los Cardones National Park. Try visiting in good rainy weather, and you’ll witness the utmost beauty of both the places we are visiting here.
After visiting both the places, we’ll be heading to Cachi. Once you arrive at Cachi, check-in to the hotel and take a little rest. Then we’ll continue exploring the remaining two places on Day 3. Cachi is about 41 km away from Los Cardones National Park that will take around 50 minutes of drive to reach Cachi. So, the next place we will be visiting is the Archaeological Museum Pío Pablo Díaz Cachi. This museum is again a preserved showcase of local traditions of prehispanic culture. The last stop for the day will be a bit away from Cachi. Bodega Puna is the last stop for Day 3. It is a hill-located winery where you can enjoy a wine tasting tour at just 4.5 USD.
Food Places in Cachi
- Oliver Resto Bar – It is quite popular for dinner and enjoying music. You can sit here for hours and have beer along with food. Popular dishes are Empanadas, Pizza, and Pasta.
- Viracocha Restaurant & Art Hostel – it is an affordable restaurant where can a couple can have a nice meal at just $16. You can try empanadas, cabrito, lemonade, cazuela, and humita here.
- La Esquina Resto Bar – It is a traditional Argentinian restaurant widely visited by the tourists. You can try their popular empanadas, quinoa, cabrito, and risotto.
- El Aujero – It is a traditional themed restaurant in Cachi offering local cuisines like cabrito, empanadas, cazuela, llamas, chivito, and locro.
Best Hotels for Stay in Cachi
Fuel Stations in Cachi
- YPF ACA Cachi, Cachi
Day 4: Wine Tasting Tours in Cafayate
Driving through the amazing rock formations, you’ll arrive in the wine city of Salta. Cafayate is among the most critical towns on Argentina Wine Route. From Cachi, try to leave at around 8 in the morning. Cafayate is about 157 km away from Cachi, so it’ll take around you 4 hours to reach there. You’ll enjoy the ride on Ruta 40 as this is one of the longest highways in the world.
Once you arrive in Cafayate, you can choose any of these wineries for wine tour. Also, don’t forget to visit Museum of Vine and Wine of Cafayate. Here is the list of wineries you can visit:
- Bodega El Esteco
- Bodega Nanni
- Bodega El Porvenir de Cafayate
- Bodega Domingo Hermanos
- Finca Quara
- Bodega Vasija Secreta
Best Food Places in Cafayate
- La Carreta de Don Olegario – It is the most popular Argentinian restaurant in Cafayate offering popular dishes like cabrito, cazuela, Milanese, tamales, and locro.
- El Rancho – El Rancho is another local food restaurant in Cafayate where you can have a meal at very reasonable prices. Some popular dishes are cabrito, locro, and chorizo.
- El Criollo – Criollo is a regional food economical restaurant where you can enjoy cabrito, empanadas, cazuela, locro, and parillada.
- Baco Resto Bar – It is a bar & grill where people usually come for having pizza and empanadas.
Best Hotels for Stay in Cafayate
Fuel Stations in Cafayate
- Refinor, RN40, Cafayate, Salta, Argentina.
- YPF, Güemes Y, Brachieri, A4427 Cafayate, Salta, Argentina.
Day 5: Back to Salta City
So, we’ve explored around 18 places on our Salta Argentina Road Trip from Salta to Cafayate. Now it’s time to head back to Salta city or wherever you want to go. Drive via RN68 to reach Cachi; it’ll take around 4 hours to complete this 200 km back to Salta.
If you have any question or query about Salta Road Trip then please let us know in the comment section below. We would love to help you in planning your perfect road trip.
Salta Argentina Road Trip FAQs
Including all the major expenses like Hotel, Fuel, Food, and Taxes, Salta Argentina Road Trip will cost you approximately $400 by a Bike for 2 people and $550 by Car for 4 people. We’ve calulated cost on the basis of mentioned hotels and food restaurants in our article.
In Salta province especially in major areas like Cachi, Cafayate, etc., around 70% of the roads are well constructed due to tourism activity is more in Salta and roads are important for better tourism. You won’t face any major discomfort while driving on roads anywhere in Salta province.
Salta Road Trip will be of 5 days in which we’ll be exploring 15+ places in Salta, Cachi, and Cafayate along with Wine tasting tours. This is how we’ll be spending 5 days:
- Day 1 and 2: Salta City and Surroundings
- Day 3: Cachi and los Cardones National Park
- Day 4: Wine Tasting Tours in Cafayate
- Day 5: Back to Salta City
I love to travel places and write about my experiences and travel guides to help people in making their travel plans with ease. Otherthan traveling and blogging, I work on my internet ventures and provide internet business consulting.